Thursday, August 6, 2015

Little by little

Today is child proofing day. My kids are 8, 5 and 2 (for 15 more days). We don't use child locks much as we already keep everything dangerous put where it can't be reached (mostly in locked cabinets in the garage)
Well, things are changing. Ever since Gideon learned to escape his play yard 2 months ago we've run into some issues.
We now keep the master bedroom locked with a key during the day (unless I'm in there, then it's a free pass. And these kids don't waste a second on getting into my bed and snuggling up to watch a show while I work on laundry in there.)
We had already installed chain locks up high on all exterior doors to keep Gideon from eloping. 
Last week we had to put a latch on the bathroom door that only the girls can reach (so they don't have to wait for me to unlock the door in an "emergency") because Gideon had flooded the bathroom for a third time. 
Yesterday I had to put a lock on the fridge. Gideon has become a bit obsessed with looking at the food inside, which is all fine and dandy ecsept when he leaves the freezer open and melts the ice cream, but now he's taking food out and hiding it around the house! The other day it was sour cream under the couch! Good thing I found that one quickly. 😷
He's started showing interest in the drawers now so that's today's project. 

We've always encouraged curiosity and natural consequences and just made sure anything outright deadly was put away, but this kid, my beautiful sweet baby boy could turn a plastic spoon into a weapon of mass destruction!

I don't know if it's a boy thing or an autistic thing or a personality thing. Could be any combination of the three. I find myself asking his therapists any time a new behavior appears if it's something they have seen before. 

I think that's what's the hardest about autism, you never quite know how you will be shocked or amazed by your kiddo. But I guess that true of parenting any child. Once I think about it, it's true of life in general. I guess life really is like a box of chocolates. 



No comments:

Post a Comment