Monday, November 12, 2012

Making Whipped Shea Butter Lotion

This year has been a big year for my family. We added a new member (Gideon) into our little 2 bedroom,  1000 sq ft townhouse. To say were short on space is an understatement but while we're saving to buy a house it's what we've got and we can make it work.
We have long thought about living a simpler lifestyle and when we found out we would be adding to the family we decided it was time to put that idea into action. We've slowly been clearing the clutter from our lives, learning to make due with what we have and learning how to make for ourselves all the things we feel we can't live without.

So on that note, I saw last night I was close to out of lotion and decided it was time I learn to make it myself instead of making the choice between a cheap lotion that's full of things I really don't want to be putting on my families skin or an organic lotion that would cost more than what we spend on milk for a whole month! So I did some research and couldn't find a recipe that I had all the ingredients for and I really didn't want to make a trip to the store so I decided to just create my own. So here it is.

Whipped Shea Butter Lotion

3oz Shea Butter
3oz Coconut Oil
2oz Avocado Oil
1oz Olive Oil
1oz beeswax
(Note I did the oils and wax buy weight)
Then I added the following but these are all optional
1 tsp Vitamin E
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
20 drops GSE (grapefruit seed extract - used as a preservative)
20 drops tangerine essential oil



I put all ingredients in my George Forman Multi-cooker (boy do I love that thing for making beauty products) and turned it on low till it melted. You could also use a double boiler or a Crockpot. Then I put  the crock into the fridge until well cooled (about 10 minutes) You'll know it's cooled cause it will look like beeswax (but it's very soft) Then I scooped it all out into the bowl of my Kitchen Aid mixer and used the whisk attachment. I whisked for 5 minutes on medium speed and 5 minutes on high speed. It will start out the color of beeswax and will slowly lighten until it's a soft white and will almost double in size.




I then spooned it into 4 (4oz) jelly jars that I sterilized in boiling water. I didn't decorate them or anything since they are all for me. :) If you didn't use GSE I would recommend keeping your extra stored in the fridge. I plan on keeping 1 on my nightstand, 1 in each of our 2 bathrooms and the last one I'm gonna give to my BFF Jacque.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment